[mythtv-users] Comcast Equipment Update

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 04:38:47 UTC 2016

On Sat, Sep 17, 2016 at 10:19 PM, Peter Bennett <cats22 at comcast.net> wrote:

> If you return all of your Comcast HD set top boxes and Comcast HD "adaptors"
> you can also avoid the $10 per month "HD Technology fee", as I discovered,
> and still get HD programs through cable card.

While that appears to be typically true, every Comcast franchise may
have different offerings (there are some which have a HD Programming
Fee (which actually gets you HD programming), which is different than
the HD Technology Fee (which enables the HDMI port on your Comcast
provided STB/DTA(*))), and there are franchises which have outlet fees
(which is added one per STB/DTA or CableCARD).  And (to further muddy
the water) various packages include some of the fees in the package,
so they may not even appear in the bill as a seperate line item until you
change your package options/tiers.  Some of those differences are due
to legacy franchise contracts which Comcast is required to honor, and
some are due to specific market issues/packages/tiers.

So, while one can save some money, it is not always quite so clear cut.

(*) But has no impact on your component output, so you can remove
the HD Technology Fee, and (again, typically) use a HD-PVR.