[mythtv-users] Power Search rule locking up MariaDB

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 01:04:41 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 6:45 PM Karl Newman <newmank1 at asme.org> wrote:

> After being prompted by a friend that I should check out (more) Coen
> brothers movies, I turned to Myth to seek them out. I played around with
> the People search but discovered that for now I really just wanted movies
> where one of the brothers was the director. So I tried linking in the
> people and credits tables and modified it to "person.name LIKE '%Coen'"
> and limiting it to director from credits.role, etc. When I saved the rule
> it locked up mythbackend (I was trying to create the rule using mythweb). I
> couldn't even kill -9 the mythbackend process, so I rebooted. This happened
> a couple more times with different variations so I decided to move to
> Mythfrontend. I started with the Tom Hanks example and put in 'Joel Coen'
> and used the Test function and it worked. Then I added "AND
> FIND_IN_SET('DIRECTOR', credits.role)>0" to the rule and the Test still
> worked. Then I added "person.name LIKE '%Coen'" and it locked up
> mythfrontend and I think also mythbackend, which was weird because I
> thought it was supposed to be isolated. Rebooted, then tried "person.name
> = 'Joel Coen' OR person.name = 'Ethan Coen'" and it locked up
> mythfrontend again. I gave up and went to bed, thinking everything was
> still working but this morning discovered that all my recordings overnight
> had failed, even though mythbackend appeared to still be nominally working.
> A ps aux showed me that my nightly database backup was stalled, implying
> that mysql was frozen. The mysqld.err log file showed nothing leading up to
> the lockup. So, it appears that mucking with the person.name clause in
> the query gives MariaDB heartburn. For my purposes, I can probably solve
> this with two different rules (one for each brother) but I am curious why
> that query should make MariaDB lock up.
>
> I welcome your answers (or speculation...)
>
> Karl

Since I only want the "Brian Cox" that hosts documentaries, I have this
rule:

 people.name = 'Brian Cox' AND credits.person = people.person AND
credits.role = 'Host' AND program.chanid = credits.chanid AND
program.starttime = credits.starttime

For that to work, the 'Additional Tables' needs to have:

,credits,people

John