[mythtv-users] /find_orphans.py crashes mythbackend

John Veness John.Veness.mythtv at pelago.org.uk
Tue Sep 13 15:09:27 UTC 2016

One thing that I think is worth pointing out that although someone
deliberately manually deleting the recording files (i.e. the .mpg or .ts
files) from the filesystem from outside MythFrontend or MythWeb is not
supposed to be done, something that can cause a similar problem is some
kind of system failure.

E.g. a dead media hard disk (not the same one that holds the database)
could easily cause hundreds or thousands of recording files to still
have entries in the database but no long exist on disk. This won't be an
uncommon event.

Assuming the recording files cannot be recovered, the normal fix for
this would be to run find_orphans.py, so that means that find_orphans.py
(or mythbackend, or wherever the problem is) should be able to cope with
thousands of orphans at once.

Please note that I haven't tested whether it can or cannot cope with
that, I just wanted to point out that we shouldn't just blame users for
deleting recordings outside of the supported methods.

John

--
John Veness, MythTV user, UK, DVB-T