[mythtv-users] Comcast Equipment Update

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Sep 9 17:45:05 UTC 2016

On 09/09/2016 11:51 AM, Tom Bongiorno wrote:
> It will be interesting to see what finally comes out of the open set
> top box initiative of the FCC. My guess is that set top boxes may be
> phased out in favor of apps that run on your favorite streaming device.
> At least there will be no set top box rentals.

Exactly.  You'll be able to celebrate your/the FCC's victory over the
evil cable monopolies when you get a bill that no longer charges you a
STB rental fee.  Of course, that bill will probably be for the same
amount as before due to "increased licensing costs" raising the rates
for your subscription and/or (just a guess here--not based on any
information or rumors) the "app access fee"*** they'll be charging...

"How many devices will you use to access your TV service?"
"4 iphones, 2 ipads, 3 Rokus, and a smart TV."
"OK, the app access fee is $4/device/month, but we give you one device
for free, so that's $36/mo.  And don't forget to deregister your old
iphones when you upgrade or the new one will be another $4/mo."

Wait a minute... Does it seem like the cable companies could contort
this idea to make them even more money than STB rentals, or am I just
being foolish?

Mike

*** Of course, their marketing geniuses will be able to come up with
better words for it... Something that makes you (or at least most of
their customers) feel good about it.