[mythtv-users] Comcast Equipment Update

Mike Chinander chinander at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 15:55:39 UTC 2016

On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 10:32 AM, Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:

> For the present, I can most likely keep my MythTV system going for a few
> more years by switching to a CableCard-based tuner, so that's my immediate
> plan. I don't get any premium channels so I don't care that those are not
> available this way, but I understand that channels may start gradually
> becoming unavailable to this tuner, so I will have a crappy Comcast DVR box
> to catch those (at least the new crappy DVR looks to be considerably better
> than the old crappy DVR, but of course it will never have 8TB of storage or
> instant commercial skip). If enough channels that I watch regularly become
> unavailable, then that will be when my MythTV system will be declared dead
> and I'll have to get another set-top box for the basement TV and rely just
> on Comcast DVR.

My region went through the MP4 upgrade last fall and the box they sent me
has component out. Not sure about channel changing; I have an HDHomerun
Prime that I use for recording. One plus of the new Comcast boxes, they are
supposed to be much more energy efficient than the older ones (I haven't
actually tested this though).