[mythtv-users] Semi-OT: ATSC Tuners & ATSC Encoders

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Fri Sep 2 17:19:58 UTC 2016

On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 9:56 AM Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 2:38 AM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:
>
> > I don't think your going to find anything cheaper, which is unfortunate.
> > You might have a bit more luck if you look for a QAM modulator (it's a
> > simpler solution) but even then $1000/channel seems about average.
>
> You can likely find them a bit cheaper, but the FCC is
> quite specific about RF transmitter requirements, and
> they take their responsibilities seriously, and have
> government enforcement powers behind them, so there
> are real costs involved (in design, testing, certification).
>
> If one is (very) patient, one can sometimes find some
> old surplus equipment show up in a local electronics
> surplus reseller, or the usual "new-to-you" online shops,
> but you have to be very very patient.

Gary's comment prompted me to look at ebay, this might be a solution for
you:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DigitMX-DMX-HDM2000-DVBT-HDMI-Full-HD-1080p-Digital-Modulator-2-Years-Warty-/141936140647?hash=item210c0da167:g:pecAAOSwZ8ZW8BfV

Here is another, looks like a rebrand of the above:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-SATLINK-WS-6990-1-Route-DVB-T-Modulator-AV-HDMI-COFDM-modulation-H-264-/152209996398?hash=item23706c3a6e:g:n4sAAOSwV0RXtSZu

At about $200 it almost seems worth its cost if it works.

The only problem I see is for US users, I'm not sure how common it is to
find DVB-T/H.264 compatible TV's here, I have never looked; it may be
standard now.  Worst case, you pick up a $50 tuner for each TV.