[mythtv-users] /find_orphans.py crashes mythbackend

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Sep 2 09:35:08 UTC 2016

On Fri, 2 Sep 2016 09:48:19 +0200, you wrote:

>>> messages has:
>>>
>>> Sep  1 17:31:15 recorder mythbackend: (process:29226): GLib-ERROR **:
>>> Creating pipes for GWakeup: Too many open files
>>>
>>> Does that help?
>>
>> I have never heard of that problem before, but it looks like it has
>> hit some other MythTV users.  Take a look at this thread to see if
>> anything there helps:
>>
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/567471
>
># mythbackend --version
>Please attach all output as a file in bug reports.
>MythTV Version : v0.27.6-27-g3783dc8
>MythTV Branch : master
>Network Protocol : 77
>Library API : 0.27.20151025-1
>QT Version : 4.8.7
>Options compiled in:
> linux release use_hidesyms using_alsa using_jack using_oss using_pulse
>using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl
>using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_crystalhd using_dvb
>using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_ceton using_hdpvr
>using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libcrypto using_libfftw3
>using_libxml2 using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl using_opengl_video
>using_qtwebkit using_qtscript using_qtdbus using_taglib using_v4l2
>using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv using_bindings_perl
>using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_mythtranscode
>using_opengl using_vaapi using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_mheg
>using_libxml2
>
>The rest of that thread is about another cause for this message.
>In my case the running of /find_orphans.py as user mythtv crashes the
>backend.
>mythbackend should be able to handle 'stuff' happening.
>
>Udo

Yes, but find_orphans.py could just be the final straw - too many
files are already open when it is run, and running find_orphans.py
pushes mythbackend over the limit, triggering the crash.  But
find_orphans.py is likely not the cause of the problem.  The
underlying problem that is leaving open files around is what needs to
be fixed.