[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend will not start

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Thu Sep 1 14:04:11 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 5:04 AM, Jack McGee <jack at greendesk.net> wrote:

> Sep  1 05:51:39 mythuser-ZBOX-ID84 mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[5364]:
> E CoreContext mythdbparams.cpp:49 (IsValid) DBPassword is not set in
> config.xml
> Sep  1 05:51:39 mythuser-ZBOX-ID84 mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[5364]:
> E CoreContext mythdbparams.cpp:39 (IsValid) DBHostName is not set in
> config.xml

I looked at the first log you posted after you created the config.xml file
in ~mythuser/.mythtv and it did not have those two lines. The empty
DBPassword is understandable, but the DBHostName should still be set,
according to your last posted config.xml. It's possible the empty Password
is causing the Host to appear empty as well. If so it would be a bug in the
config.xml parser that doesn't like empty passwords--it's not a common
configuration as far as I can tell. Check your config.xml for a <Host>
setting in the <Database> block first. If it's there, then you might
investigate adding a password to your mysql mythtv user. I think you can
find it on the wiki, maybe in the mythtv installation instructions but it's
something like 'SET PASSWORD FOR 'mythtv'=PASSWORD('NewPassword'); I
probably don't have the syntax exactly correct so you should look it up.

Karl