[mythtv-users] MythTV qtwebkit dependency

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 18:39:03 UTC 2016

On Sat, Oct 29, 2016 at 12:49 PM, Paul Harrison <mythtv at sky.com> wrote:
> On 29/10/16 11:01, Tom Dexter wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 5:24 AM, Paul Harrison <mythtv at sky.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 24/10/16 14:58, Tom Dexter wrote:
>>>

>>> I think John forgot we still use Qt Webkit for the browser widget that is
>>> part of MythUI and is still being used by the plugins.
>>>

>>> Paul H.
>>

>> Is that mythbrowser you're referring to? It's too bad this is
>> required, given that most users will never technically need it. Qt
>> Webkit is a big requirement the way it is, but the odd compile time
>> requirement for ruby (which I don't really understand) makes things
>> even worse.
>>
>> Thanks for the reply.
>>
>> Tom
>

> Yeah MythBrowser uses it. Also if you removed it MythNews, MythNetVision and
> MythMusic would be affected since they all use MythBrowser.
>
> They've gone a little quite about it but some of my fellow devs want to
> remove the plugins algether so you will probably get your way at some point.
> I don't see the tiny amount of disk space required for the webkit stuff to
> be a big problem when you consider the multi GB space required for
> recordings.
>
> You could make it optional and only allow those plugins to be configured if
> QtWebkit is available but then you run into problems with future development
> not knowing if you can use the browser widget or not.
>
> Personally I'd be sad to see it. If you remove the one or two remaining
> differences between Kodi and MythFrontend, the web browser and
> MythZoneMinder etc then what's the incentive to continue developing the
> frontend? Might as well just kill it off :(
>

> Paul H.

The disk space isn't the issue as much as the compile times. I'm using
Gentoo and the qtwebkit from what I recall takes longer to compile
than MythTV, and that happens with any Qt updates as well. Since I
really do want to upgrade, I've bit the bullet and started compiling
all the dependencies including that one, so I'll be ready to compile
MythTV 0.28 later.

Thanks for the replies!
Tom