[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi 3 frontend not quite getting there

Josh Rosenberg mythtv at desh.info
Thu Oct 13 16:09:43 UTC 2016

Hey, all. I have a Raspberry Pi 3 frontend that I'm tinkering with,
and I can't quite get totally smooth playback on (American) football.
The problem is most evident during downfield passes, or any other
situation where the camera is panning. My current combined
frontend/backend (a full 0.28 machine that I'd like to move out of the
living room, with 8GB RAM, an NVIDIA video card that does great with
VDPAU, etc.) has noticeably smoother playback that I've gotten used
to.

The current setup is wired ethernet, 384MB of RAM configured for
video, the newest version of Raspbian with the MythTV Light 0.28
packages installed as per the wiki, OpenMax Normal video profile
(OpenMax High seemed worse), and no other frontend setup tweaks that I
can remember.

Some of the video is US HD cable recorded via an HDHomeRun Prime
(about 6GB/hr MPEG2, and I do have the Pi MPEG2 license), and some of
it is transcoded (mp4 container, H.264 video, I forget what audio
codec, and about 1GB/hr). The problem is just as evident with the
transcoded video as the raw video.

Any suggestions? Or should I just ditch this and buy a ZBox on Ebay?

Thanks,
Josh