[mythtv-users] Signal Monitor

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 00:35:12 UTC 2016

Hi Folks!

OK, admittedly I put off my 'homework' from the weekend but was doing
some Mythbuntu-related work.  One of the problems I have is with aiming
the antenna.  Good and bad news is it in the Storage Area of a 1½ story
house.  (Radio propagation through a roof isn't necessarily bad but
outside is better.  OTOH you don't have snow and ice issues.)
Originally was good ol' guess between left and right rotations of the
antenna as to when the picture dropped out.

Then I discovered a utility called "femon".  Works at the Terminal. Can
select adapters (tuner cards) but unfortunately one isn't certain which
station the adapter is tuned to.

On and off have read of SignalMon working.  Rediscovered the key binding
is ALT_F7; does not work here.  Added a binding to use CTRL_M and it
does work!!  Go to Live TV, select a station, hit CTRL_M and the picture
disappears but have a real-time signal strength display!

At a Frontend select Setup > Edit Keys > TV Playback (left column).  In
the right column scroll down to "SignalMon".  Either remove the default
binding of ALT_F7 or select the secondary option for the option.  (Guess
I selected 'm' for meter.)    If the binding is already in use an error
message will pop up telling you which option is using.