[mythtv-users] Failed recordings tuner?

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 22:57:32 UTC 2016

Hi Mike!

> Because the tuners change around (depending on configuration, as little
> as when you change your system or even as much as every reboot), the
> information is not stored when we record a show (because it would be
> either meaningless or--worse--misleading in many (most?) situations).
> Instead, we output a message in the backend log file that includes the
> tuner in use when we start a recording.

OK, makes sense the tuners 'move' around.  ...Went to Mythbuntu Control
Centre to enable to the "MythTV Backend Log" -- dum-de-dummm... "Bad API
request, maximum paste file size exceeded".    ...The good news is there
are only four tuners and three coax lines (one's a dual tuner).
"Noticed" two of the cables were of the slide on/slightly skinny type
(why on Earth did I use those??!!); swapped in better cable -- probably
RG-6/U (definately not RG-59/U -- hope I remember my numbers correctly).
_femon_ indicated a much better signal strength ; unfortunately I had
originally tested in the morning and then did the swap after dinner and
then ran _femon_ again.

> FWIW, I haven't used it in forever (since 0.24), but:
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Which_recorder.pl
> If you try it out and it works with logs from more-current MythTV
> versions, please update the wiki page.  Or, if it doesn't and you fix it
> (fix the regex), please feel free to update the script on the page.

I'll have to take a look.  As for the repair, um, yea.  OTOH, we all
have to learn somehow! :)