[mythtv-users] Black screen, audio, green snow

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 20:06:26 UTC 2016

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 5:58 PM, Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:

> Who would you call a respected vendor. I think these are the specs:

> 5V 2.5A regulated power adapter (higher A rating ok).

The 2.5A is for the HDHR3-CC.  For the OTA
HDHR3-US models, 1A is sufficient (although
there is a old white model of the HDHR that
needs 2A) according to the information at:
   https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=19204
(and just for completeness, for the HDHR3-CC):
   https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=19203

Delta, tdk-lambda are on my list(*) (so is Sony for
the higher end power supplies, but they do not
tend to do lower wattage designs).  Most of my
supplies are actually built by those vendors for
companies who do not want to have their power
supply fail, and have customers who are less
interested in the lowest cost per unit than not
having failures in the field (which may require a
dispatch to remote sites, which gets expensive
real quick).  AFAIK, unless you are purchasing
in quantities of six (plus) figures, none of the
companies sell their desktop supplies directly
to consumers.

My "go-to" supplies (based on what is currently
in my power supply storage box) for a 5V 2A
supply(**) is the (real, not cloned/fake(***)) Delta
ADP-10SB Rev H, and for 5V 4A supplies the
EADP-20NB Rev C/D, all of which I choose
primarily because I could usually find them(****)
NIB at a local surplus store for a deep deep
discount (note the models and revs matter, there
are various form factors and power plugs and tips
associated with the various variants; you may
find other models/revs that would be better for
your particular use case, but you need to do
your research carefully to pick them, and no, I
do not recall where the magic decoder ring is
for the model and rev numbers).

(*) Every manufacturer has had good and bad
designs.  A brand is not a guarantee that you
have chosen a good design, or that your sample
is good.

(**) I do not bother with 1A supplies.  I could get
the 2A version sufficiently cheaply that it was not
worth my time to try to store another type, and
it avoids the (embarrassing) mistake of plugging
a USB powered device into some 5V powered
(arm) device and watching everything go sideways.

(***) Unfortunately, because some miscreants
know that some people will look for the name,
they have chosen to create clones of a lessor
quality (and usually a lessor price to attract the
buyer).

(****) Planning and patience is a virtue.  The
local surplus store stock comes and goes.
Since I knew what I wanted, and did not have
an immediate need (again, I try to have spares
available on cold standby, which is a nice way
to say they are piled in a spare power supply bin),
I could wait until they next got acceptable stock
(in some cases, for some items, they never get
additional stock).