[mythtv-users] Latest Mythtv 0.28 broke input priorities, xfsrestore backup woes

Will Dormann wdormann at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 01:26:52 UTC 2016

In case I haven't quite figured out the concept of "if it ain't broke,
don't fix it", this one takes the cake:

After upgrading to the latest MythTV via Mythbuntu, I noticed that my
input priorities got messed up.  I have a system where my HD-PVR is used
as a last resort.   After installing the latest updates, which broke my
video as described in my prior thread, I noticed that all of my
recordings were scheduled to occur via the HD-PVR.   I went into
mythtv-setup, and noticed that the HD-PVR had a priority of "-1" and the
3 HDHR inputs all had a priority of "0".

Now, it's been a while since I set it up, but according to
<https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Setup_Input_Connections>, -1 isn't even a
valid priority.

I tried re-setting priorities via mythtv-setup, but it didn't seem to
help.  At this point, I decided to just restore from my latest backup.
I use xfsdump to back up the system before any changes.   After
restoring from backup I was greeted with the first-time MythTV setup
screen.  :(

After a little bit of troubleshooting, I realized that my
/etc/mythtv/config.xml file was missing!   Increasing verbosity in
xfsrestore and doing an interactive restore, I see:

-----

 -> ls /etc/mythtv
            4032 session-settings
         4127166 session-settings~
        50343916 config.xml
         4884092 mysql.txt~

 -> add /etc/mythtv

 -> extract

 --------------------------------- end dialog
---------------------------------

xfsrestore: mkdir etc
xfsrestore: mkdir etc/mythtv
xfsrestore: dump session label: ""
xfsrestore: dump session id: f132cc65-5bd4-4a58-a810-52398fe99326
xfsrestore: stream 0, object 0, file 0
xfsrestore: restoring non-directory files
xfsrestore: media file 0 in object 0 of stream 0
xfsrestore: restoring etc/mythtv/session-settings (4032 221708883)
xfsrestore: restoring regular file ino 4032 etc/mythtv/session-settings
xfsrestore: truncating etc/mythtv/session-settings from 0 to 1170
xfsrestore: restoring etc/mythtv/session-settings~ (4127166 4079738789)
xfsrestore: restoring regular file ino 4127166 etc/mythtv/session-settings~
xfsrestore: truncating etc/mythtv/session-settings~ from 0 to 1169
xfsrestore: restoring etc/mythtv/mysql.txt~ (4884092 1828724895)
xfsrestore: restoring regular file ino 4884092 etc/mythtv/mysql.txt~
xfsrestore: truncating etc/mythtv/mysql.txt~ from 0 to 99
xfsrestore: restore complete: 125 seconds elapsed
xfsrestore: Restore Status: SUCCESS
root at jerky:/mnt/rescue#

-----

>From the above I see that /etc/mythtv/config.xml does indeed exist.
However, when attempting to restore the file, it silently fails!  I even
tried restoring from a different xfsdump backup, and it behaves exactly
the same way.

So at this point:
 - Has anybody noticed any trouble with input priorities for recordings
with the latest MythTV 0.28?
 - I know that it has nothing to do with MythTV, but in case anybody is
familiar with xfsdump/xfsrestore, does anybody have any idea what could
cause the symptoms I'm seeing above.   I've been pretty happy with this
backup/restore scheme in the past, and I have successfully restored from
backups before.  But silently skipping a file seems pretty catastrophic.

Thanks!
-WD