[mythtv-users] RF remote recommendation

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Nov 22 08:01:04 UTC 2016

Mark Wedel <mwedel at sonic.net> wrote:

> While not really an answer to the question, there are IR -> RF -> IR converters out there (amazon for IR wireless repeater will bring some up).
>
> That is what I do, and has the advantage it repeats all IR signals, so if you have other devices you want to control remotely (receiver, roku, whatever), it can take care of those.

Unless the OP has some unusual requirements, I'd have thought a simple IR repeater would have done the job. Stick the receiver (IR sensor) somewhere discrete but room visible, and put the emitters near the sensors of the equipment to be controlled.

Alternatively, perhaps there are remotes with more powerful LEDs in them and/or more sensitive sensors ? I know that with some of our kit, you need line of sight and to point the remote directly at the sensor - while with other kit, I can point the remote at the ceiling or another wall and it will still work !

I can see RF remotes being "problematic" if you have more than one in the house - and especially entertaining if a close neighbour also uses one. Apart from certification and component costs for anything "radio", I can see this being a key reason why IR is used instead of RF for most things.
On the flip side, it could be useful if you had one bit of kit you wanted to control from another room.