[mythtv-users] Frontend for Apple TV 4

Tom Harris thom.j.harris at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 04:57:48 UTC 2016

On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 7:59 PM, Anthony Giggins <seven at seven.dorksville.net
> wrote:

> On 20 November 2016 at 07:19, Tom Harris <thom.j.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 2:02 PM, Captain Hook <captainhookzero at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I have been using this app for a few months and recently updated to
>>> .28.  The app no longer works and only displays a green image when you
>>> attempt to play a recording.  I'd also love to see commercial
>>> skipping.
>>>
>>> I used this exclusively for watching Myth recordings for several months.
>>>

>> Same here..   I just upgraded my old MythTV 0.27 / Ubuntu 14.04 backend
>> to MythTV 0.28 / Ubuntu 16.04.
>>
>> The recordings play fine on Kodi and on my TV via UPnP.   But, when I try
>> on the AppleTV MythTV app I get what looks to be corrupted mpeg decoding.
>> It's a mostly green screen with some blocks of other colors & patterns.
>>

> Sounds like another case of this bug
>
> https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12479
>
> I'm guessing the Apple TV Mythtv App uses HLS transcoding which is
> currently broken for some recording types and has been for quite some time
> now.

The author had previously mentioned software decoding of MPEG2 in the app,
so I don't think it relies on transcoding -- and my backend is not fast
enough to transcode HD content.

Now that I have gotten a couple recordings after the 0.28 upgrade, I see
that 0.27 recordings have corrupted playback and 0.28 recordings work fine.