[mythtv-users] Resetting mysql password for mythtv user

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Nov 15 23:01:43 UTC 2016

On 15/11/16 20:03, Simon Waldman wrote:
> Thanks everybody for the help. See below.
>
> On 14 November 2016 at 17:18, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
>

>> Then check on your users and hosts with
>>
>> MariaDB [mysql]>select host,user,password from user;
>>

> mysql> select host, user, password from user;
> ERROR 1054 (42S22): Unknown column 'password' in 'field list'
>
> and, indeed, "describe user;" shows that there's no password field. There's
> password_expired, password_last_changed, password_lifetime, but no password.
> However, the "plugin" field contains "mysql_native_password", and the
> "authentication_string" field contains longish strings that look as though
> they could be password hashes?
> (is it possible that mythbuntu does things slightly differently here?)
>
> As for the users that exist,
>
> mysql> select host, user from user;
> +-----------+------------------+
> | host      | user             |
> +-----------+------------------+
> | %         | mythtv           |
> | localhost | debian-sys-maint |
> | localhost | mysql.sys        |
> | localhost | mythtv           |
> | localhost | root             |
> +-----------+------------------+
> 5 rows in set (0.00 sec)
>
> So there's one for localhost and one for %. I have no idea how the % came
> about! I notice that the localhost one has a load of privs (select_priv,
> insert_priv, update_priv, etc) that the % one doesn't. But from the sound
> of it I can probably just ignore the duplicate user, since mythtv at localhost
> is unique.

The '%' is a wild-card. In theory it should be available from every host. Without a password to
match it, however, it isn't going anywhere, and I suspect none of your other users will either.

I'm afraid you'll have to nuke your database and start with a fresh one. This one does not contain
the fields a normal mysql/mariadb application would expect.

Without any password fields, this isn't a mythtv problem - unless some kind of bad data caused it in
the first place, but I have trouble believing that.

--

Mike Perkins