[mythtv-users] Stutter playback 720 60fps

Peter Bennett cats22 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 14 17:53:40 UTC 2016

On 11/14/2016 12:25 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> On 11/12/2016 04:11 PM, Kevin Johnson wrote:
>
>> This may only be happening on channels that are 720p and h.264 encoding.
>> Maybe it is just me, but when it does happen, it seems like livetv
>> starts faster than normal.  Meaning that when I start livetv, it is up
>> and going in like one second.  When it does not happen, live tv takes
>> 2-3 seconds to start.
>> And, when it is happening, (the stutter) the progress bar shows about a
>> 2 second delay.  When it starts without stuttering, the progress bar
>> shows about a 5 second delay.
>> So I think this is all about livetv starting to fast.
>> Is there anything I can do to delay the live tv start time?  (Add some
>> sort of buffer)
>> Anything?????
>

> Fast tuning?  On the Input Connection page of mythtv-setup there is an
> entry for Live tv fast tuning:  Always | Never. Try flipping that to
> the other position and see what happens.
>
> Geoff

Good point. Actually it has values for "Always", "Live TV Only",
"Never". I suggest set it to "Never". I use "never".

Another thing - if you start live TV and get the stuttering, can you
exit from Live TV and go to the recording list, press Menu and "Change
Group Filter" select "LiveTV" then find a recording with very recent
time that corresponded with the stuttering and watch it again, see if
you still see the stuttering. This will help find out if it is the
backend or frontend causing the problem.