[mythtv-users] updating a keymap

Peter Bennett cats22 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 13 17:52:52 UTC 2016

On 11/13/2016 07:26 AM, Vincent McIntyre wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> ubuntu 16.04 LTS with ppa mythtv 0.28.
>
> I need a bit of help figuring out my remote.
> I've read https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/HID_Remotes,
> thanks to the people who wrote it - so helpful.
>
> I need to remap a few keys to scancodes less than 255.
> The wiki page above refers to /usr/src/<linux>/input.h
> but I can't find any header files that have that kind
> of data in it.
>
> Can anyone suggest how to find appropriate keycode names?
> I could cargo-cult the names given in the wiki page, but
> I'd prefer to understand what I am doing enough that
> I could then update the wiki page.
>
> Details:
>
> The remote is a little unusual. I have a
> 'DVICO FusionHDTV DVB-T Dual Digital 4'
> tuner card and the (IR) remote came with that.
> The sensor for the remote plugs into the card
> with a 3.5mm jack and I run the cable to the
> front of the computer to a spot where the remote
> can talk to it. Worked fine with LIRC on 14.04.
> Now I'm trying to leave LIRC behind.
>
> The good news is the remote mainly works.
> evtest sees the device (event15 in the list below)
> and ir-keytable will talk to it if I specify the device, ie
>   ir-keytable -t -d /dev/input/event15
> Both report the same keycodes when I press any key, including
> the ones that don't work in mythtv.
>
> The keytable I get from ir-keytable -r exactly matches
> the one in /lib/udev/rc_keymaps/dvico_mce.
>
> The odd thing is the device does not show up in /sys/class/rc/,
> only event10 and event16 do. So ir-keytable does not show the
> device by default. Can anyone explain why this occurs?
>
> Thanks for any help
> Vince
>
> # evtest
> No device specified, trying to scan all of /dev/input/event*
> Available devices:
> /dev/input/event0:	Sleep Button
> /dev/input/event1:	Power Button
> /dev/input/event2:	Microsoft Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical®
> /dev/input/event3:	Dell Dell USB Entry Keyboard
> /dev/input/event4:	iMON Panel, Knob and Mouse(15c2:ffdc)
> /dev/input/event5:	HDA Intel Rear Mic
> /dev/input/event6:	HDA Intel Front Mic
> /dev/input/event7:	HDA Intel Line
> /dev/input/event8:	HDA Intel Line Out
> /dev/input/event9:	HDA Intel Front Headphone
> /dev/input/event10:	iMON Remote (15c2:ffdc)
> /dev/input/event11:	HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=3
> /dev/input/event12:	HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=7
> /dev/input/event13:	HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=8
> /dev/input/event14:	HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=9
> /dev/input/event15:	IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver
> /dev/input/event16:	Leadtek WinFast DTV Dongle Dual
> Select the device event number [0-16]: 15
> Input driver version is 1.0.1
> Input device ID: bus 0x3 vendor 0xfe9 product 0xdb78 version 0x827b
> Input device name: "IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver"
> Supported events:
>   Event type 0 (EV_SYN)
>   Event type 1 (EV_KEY)
>     Event code 2 (KEY_1)
> [...]

Here are my somewhat cryptic notes from when I used a similar HID remote:

Remote Control (Pinnacle)
Set up as a keyboard. Do not install LIRC
Install ir-keytable
Find out what scan table is used
ir-keytable
Copy the scan table from here and modify it
/lib/udev/rc_keymaps/dib0700_rc5
Make changes then store the result in /etc/rc_keymaps
to change it run
sudo ir-keytable -p RC5 -w /etc/rc_keymaps/dib0700_rc5

You have to run that every time you reboot, so you can put it somewhere
convenient.