[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi 3 and MythTV-Light

Bert Haskins bhaskins at chartermi.net
Sat Nov 12 19:43:21 UTC 2016

On 11/12/2016 12:55 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:

>> following

>> > I don't know if MythTV-Light comes with plugins enabled (there is a
>> > package 'mythplugins-light' so I guess it might be the case if you
>> > installed it too).
>> >
>> > Some frontend plugins also need database schema upgrade and if your
>> > raspi is the first frontend with such a plugin enabled to connect
>> to the
>> > backend, it will trigger the upgrade of the db schema for that or
>> these
>> > plugins.
>>
>> I haven't installed the plugins. Don't usually need them... So given
>> that,
>>
>> what could be causing MythTV-Light to "think that my backend database
>>
>> is from a decade ago???
>>
>> > Anyway, make sure you have a recent backup of your database before
>> > continuing with the upgrade process.
>>
>> I always backup, but my NAS box is offline while I am moving it to
>> the other
>>
>> side of my house. I am also re-wiring in that area, so it will take a
>> bit
>>
>> longer. However, I guess my point here, is that I shouldn't need to
>>
>> update my database, given that I am running the latest version of
>> 0.28 fixes.
>>
>> Even if I need to update the database for some reason for MythTV-Light,
>>
>> how would I do that, since that would seem to have to be done
>>
>> locally on the server itself.
>>

> Are you sure you don't have an old out of date backend running somewhere?
100% sure, in the many years that I've enjoyed mythtv, I've never run
more than one backend at a time.
In my current backend I physically change the cables from one hard drive
(0.27) to the other (0.28).

> Make sure of the versions of your backend and frontend by running
> mythbackend --version or mythfrontend --version or mythutil --version
> on your backend and frontend.
>
> I recommend copy the ~/.mythtv/config.xml from a working frontend to
> your raspberry pi frontend. Edit it and make sure if it contains
> entries for localhost or 127.0.0.1 that you change them to the correct
> IP address.
I don't have any working Mythtv frontends.
Kodi (several), win 7 media player (several) , Asus O!Play, bunch of
Androids, .......

I may dig into my pile of recently retired Thinkpads and do a fresh
frontend install using 14.04 ( ! 16.04 ) and see what that does.
There are some reports about a bug when 16.04 is used with Nvidia and my
TPs have Nvidia graphic chips.