[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 16.04.1 (0.28) Frontend not visible

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Nov 12 03:39:20 UTC 2016

On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 13:02:36 +1100, you wrote:

> [...]

The issue is not with mythmusic.  Mythmusic uses its own database
tables, which are not present unless it has been in use.  When the
mythmusic plugin is installed, and a database schema upgrade happens,
the main database tables get upgraded by mythtv-setup or mythbackend,
whichever gets run first.  But for tables for plugins, they are only
upgraded when the plugin runs the first time after the new schema is
installed.  For plugins like mythmusic that only involve mythfrontend,
that means the database upgrade for its tables will only be run the
first time mythfrontend runs after the schema upgrade.

When a schema upgrade is done, an automatic backup of the database is
done before the schema upgrade, as such upgrades are potentially
dangerous and could cause loss of the database if something bad went
wrong.  Normally, database backups happen from a cron job, and there
are different permissions that apply to cron jobs from when a database
backup happens from mythtv-setup, mythbackend or mythfrontend.  It
looks like your regular database backups work as they have the correct
permissions to write to your NAS.  But database backups from
mythfrontend do not have the correct permissions to access your NAS
and fail, so mythfrontend aborts and does not do the mythmusic schema
upgrade.  It may well be that database backups from mythtv-setup and
mythbackend could fail in the same way, as they are also normally run
from a different user with different permissions from cron jobs.

Uninstalling mythmusic is one way to get around the problem
temporarily, but its tables are still in your database and will still
need to be upgraded the next time mythmusic runs.  So when you
reinstall the mythmusic plugin, that will happen and you will have the
same problem again.  What you need to do is sort out the permissions
problem, or move where the default location for database backups is,
so that it is in a location accessible to the users that run
mythtv-setup, mythbackend and mythfrontend.  You can still have your
regular database backups going to the NAS, by altering the cron job to
have a command line parameter specifying where the database backup is
to be stored, and overriding the default database backup location.

Unless your NAS is very fast or your database very small, I would not
recommend backing up directly to the NAS.  Database backups work by
first creating a .sql file that is created using mysqldump on the
database.  Then that file is read back and compressed into a .sql.gz
file.  So if you do your backups directly to a NAS or any network
location, they will run very slowly compared to doing them to a local
hard disk.  It is better to adjust your backup cron job to do the
backup to a local hard disk other than the one the database resides
on, then when the backup and compression process is complete, moving
the resulting backup file to the NAS as part of the cron job.