[mythtv-users] frontend crashes

George Bingham georgeb1962 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 20:31:28 UTC 2016

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 11:51 AM, Peter Bennett <cats22 at comcast.net> wrote:

> On 11/07/2016 06:05 PM, Steve Greene wrote:
>
> I'm pretty sure this is related to this Mythbuntu reported bug
> <https://www.mail-archive.com/mythbuntu-bugs@lists.launchpad.net/msg10233.html>,
> except I'm running 16.04, not 16.10. It seems like mythfrontend isn't
> really started, so the crash doesn't leave a trace I recognize in the logs.
> The display says "Restarting Frontend: The Front end crash unexpectedly
> (exit code 139) and is restarting. Please wait..."  This frontend is on an
> old Nvidia ION (Asus EB1501).
>
> It just loops through this message. The bug report says this exit code is
> related to timezones, so I guess I'll look through /var/log/apt and see if
> any recent timezone updates were pushed through.
>
> Anyone else have any thoughts?
>
> I suspect it may be the Nvidia driver issue described in this email chain.
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/604163#604163
> If you have Nvidia driver version 304.132 that may be the cause.  Try
> downgrading your driver to the prior version.

> Hi Steve,

Yes, this seems to be the same problem I encountered when under security
updates it downloaded and installed the nvidia drivers 304.132.

I was successfully able to downgrade to the previous version (304.131) by
running "Synaptic Package Manager", finding the Nvidia driver in the list,
selecting it, then using the "Package" menu, choose "Force Version..." and
then select the 304.131. Apply that change, then optionally "Lock Version"
(again from the package menu), and reboot.

This worked for me.

Good luck!

George