[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu dropping to login prompt instead of frontend auto login after nvidia upgrade

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Tue Nov 8 20:17:07 UTC 2016

On 08/11/16 19:31, Ian Evans wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 2:10 PM, Peter Bennett <cats22 at comcast.net
> <mailto:cats22 at comcast.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 11/08/2016 01:49 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>     > I don't use ubuntu but checked in VM I have and 304.117-0ubuntu1 is
>     > shown. (sudo apt-cache showpkg nvidia-304)
>     Hika
>     Did you do sudo apt-get update first? You may be seeing old information.
>     I only see the 132 version. It looks like to me that the 131 version has
>     been removed.
>
>     Ian Evans
>     An interim solution could be install the nouveau driver. You will have
>     to change playback profile to Normal or Slim.
>     In command line mode you can run this to list available drivers
>     sudo ubuntu-drivers devices
>     You should see the noveau driver listed as one alternative
>     (xserver-xorg-video-nouveau)
>     Install the nouveau driver with
>     sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
>

> Thanks Peter. I'll leave it alone for a few days as it's working now
> with VDPAU slim and .132 and I don't want to jinx the system with all my
> election coverage recording. :-)
>
> Hopefully there's a .133 soon and I can go back to VDPAU High Quality.

I had trouble with nvidia304.132 on fedora23 and eventually dropped back
to nouveau.  This week another family machine with the same video card
running kubuntu16.04 wouldn't log in to a working desktop;  I think
304.132 had been installed for several days before this showed up, but
that seems fine now with nouveau. I don't think I had ever put  a
working myth installation on it.  Going back to 304.131 didn't appear as
an option.

The original problem on the 'buntu box wasn't as traumatic as it had
been in fedora: I was able to use the xubuntu desktop which I had
installed earlier when kubuntu beta had troubles, but in f23 I only had
kde/plasma and was forced to use tty2 during recovery.

John P