[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu: So Long and Thanks for All the Fish

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Nov 7 23:10:19 UTC 2016

On 07/11/16 19:10, Joseph Fry wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 11:16 AM Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Nov 4, 2016 11:06 PM, "Gary Buhrmaster" <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Saw this referenced elsewhere.  I am a bit
>>> surprised it has not yet been posted on the
>>> mythtv-users list, and while I have never
>>> used the mythbuntu distribution (I follow
>>> the ways of the hatted), I think many should
>>> thank Thomas and the others for their hard
>>> work over the years.  Details follow:
>>>
>>>     Mythbuntu: So Long and Thanks for All the Fish
>>>

>> https://sites.google.com/a/mythbuntu.org/website/home/news/mythbuntusolongandthanksforallthefish
>>
>> Dang! Been running Mythbuntu since my first mythtv day back in 2011.
>> Thanks to the team for all the great work.
>>
>> I was planning a fresh install as I moved to .28 and upgraded from 12.04.
>> So I guess this is  as good a thread as any to ask:
>>
>> If I read correctly I can go the xubuntu and mythbuntu ppa route. Should I
>> be looking at any other distros right now?
>>

> If I were going for a fresh install I would start from Ubuntu Server, and
> add only what I needed.
>
> Personally, my backend is headless so a desktop distro is a waste.
>
> As far as another distro is concerned, I'd say no... stick with an Ubuntu
> derivative... the PPA packages are solid, and I can't speak to other
> distros, but I can't imagine their packages are better than whats in the
> Mythbuntu PPA (which isn't going anywhere).

You could always cut out the middleman and just use plain Debian - works for me.

Backend: Do a plain install without any desktop or other frills, except maybe SSH server. Then add
the deb-multimedia repository and install the backend packages.

Frontend: I do as above but after the basic system I install LXDE (not task-LXDE, which brings in
all the office stuff) before installing mythtv-frontend. There are of course other smaller desktops
but LXDE is Gnome2-alike and easy to configure without too much overhead.

--

Mike Perkins