[mythtv-users] MythTV Light / Rasp Pi 3 Live TV quality

Ken Bass kbass at kenbass.com
Mon Nov 7 19:10:53 UTC 2016

When I start watching Live TV (or change a channel) on the Rasp Pi 3
frontend, there is an initial 5 seconds of muted audio, then some audio,
then a bit more muted, before everything works. (I tried turning off OSD
Fade). There are occasional audio dropouts.

I am not sure this is acceptable for a cable box replacement (which is
my goal). Occasionally I get an audio dropout here or there too.

Is this typical for HD recording playback on a Rasp Pi 3 with MythTV
frontend? Live TV has never been a strong suite of MythTV in my opinion
and maybe this is just an indication of that.

Yesterday I tried a Kodi frontend for the first time with the MythtTV
PVR plugin and did not see this issue. In fact the video quality (using
HDHR Prime and HD-PVR) seems much better with Kodi than even openmax
high quality. I have not figured out how to get commercial skip working
with recordings under Kodi yet but I might just use Kodi which is a
shame before I wanted to stay with the MythTV frontend.