[mythtv-users] Comcast mpeg4 switching to 720p

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 20:49:49 UTC 2016

On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 8:35 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> As long as you do not watch any local OTA rebroadcasts.

Oh, and some sports channels.  Some sports channels
reportedly(*) have minimum bitrates (or resolutions) in their
contracts with the MSO (I guess they want to make sure
people watching grass grow (I mean watching golf) feel
good about green), and until those contracts get renegotiated,
some MSOs have apparently chosen to leave some sports
channels in MPEG2.  I have no doubt that this will get taken
care of eventually, likely some channels sooner than others.

(*) Rumor based on rumor.  I have never actually seen
any carriage contract between the content providers and
the MSO.