[mythtv-users] Comcast mpeg4 switching to 720p

Peter Bennett cats22 at comcast.net
Wed Nov 2 20:02:16 UTC 2016

Now that Comcast have started using x264 for some channels I have
noticed that the 1080i channels are switching to 720p when they switch
to x264. This seems to be official policy - see below.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Non-X1-Service/1080i-channels-are-being-changed-to-720p60-channels/td-p/2778182

They seem to view this as an improvement. I wonder why those channels
used 1080i in the first place if 720p is superior. I also wonder if they
have approval from their cable channel providers to do this.

Up to now it is only cable channels that have switched. The broadcast
channels are still mpeg2 1080i.

Peter