[mythtv-users] installation difficulties using Unbuntu 16.04

David Williams mythtv_david at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 2 15:54:27 UTC 2016

 There’s somethinghere, what it is ain’t exactly clear …
I’m a long termMythtv user but far from a Linux maven. Ubuntu is my distro ofchoice. I’m not having any success installing Mythtv using either16.04 or 16.10 although using Ubuntu 14.04.5 it installs just fineso I thought I’d ask for advice.
Apt-cache policymythtv doesn’t show a problem. However, when I attempt to installmythtv I receive the following message:
Buildingdependency tree Readingstate information... DoneSomepackages could not be installed. This may mean that you haverequestedan impossible situation or if you are using the unstabledistributionthat some required packages have not yet been createdorbeen moved out of Incoming.Thefollowing information may help to resolve the situation:
Thefollowing packages have unmet dependencies:mythtv : Depends: mythtv-frontend but itis not going to be installedE:Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
To cut to the chaseI repeatedly receive a message that transcode is a dependency but ashas been explained in another recent thread transcode is no longerused. An effort to install transcode yields the following result:
Reading packagelists... DoneBuilding dependencytree Reading stateinformation... DonePackage transcode isnot available, but is referred to by another package.This may mean thatthe package is missing, has been obsoleted, oris only availablefrom another source
E: Package'transcode' has no installation candidate
Eagerly awaitinghelp.
Dave