[mythtv-users] FrontEnd Crash

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Sat May 28 18:28:23 UTC 2016

On May 27, 2016 12:22 PM, "John Pilkington" <J.Pilk at tesco.net> wrote:

> On 27/05/16 00:55, Daryl McDonald wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 8:05 AM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net
>> <mailto:J.Pilk at tesco.net>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 25/05/16 22:09, John Pilkington wrote:
>>
>>         On 25/05/16 17:40, Daryl McDonald wrote:
>>
>>             Greetings Mythizens, I just got a clean install of Ubuntu
>>             16.04 and Myth
>>             0.28 recording last night, and editing this morning caused
>>             crashes every
>>             time I tried to advance in increments smaller than one
>>             second. Is there
>>             something I can do to correct this?   TIA  Daryl
>>

>>         I had a similar setup on a box that has now moved elsewhere in
the
>>         family;  I didn't see anything like this, but it didn't have
>>         VDPAU.  You
>>         might like to look at https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12004
>>         (fixed)
>>         for hints on what might be happening.
>>
>>         I've been using the editor successfully with dvb radio; with
>>         that, steps
>>         further down the scale than 1 s don't give reliable results -
>>         but they
>>         don't cause a crash.   I've tried to increase the extent of the
>>         editor's
>>         audio graph, as well, but have the impression that the decoder
often
>>         doesn't put all the data that I want in the place where I hope
>>         to find it.
>>
>>         Cheers,
>>
>>         John P
>>

>>     I'll add that my main box - with MythTV in a window on a monitor -
>>     has been giving occasional video driver warnings, often on quitting
>>     the frontend but also sporadically, when running in 'Auto' painter
mode.

>>     WARNING: at drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_gem.c:4504
>>     i915_gem_free_object+0x2ba/0x310 [i915]()
>>     WARN_ON(obj->frontbuffer_bits)
>>
>>     Running in Qt mode crashes with radio recordings:
>>
>>     QOpenGLContext::swapBuffers() called with non-exposed window,
>>     behavior is undefined
>>
>>     but it looks as if OpenGL1 might be ok.   I've just switched over to
>>     that.  Perhaps worth a look.
>>
>>     Frontend > Setup > Appearance > Paint engine.
>>
>>     ...or show the frontend log?
>

>> Curiously enough, after switching from "Myth Centre Wide" to "Steppes
>> Wide" no crashes.
>> Maybe I didn't make myself clear, my situation was only in editing in
>> one second OK point five seconds or smaller Crash.
>>
> Hi Daryl, glad you got it working again.  I've rarely used anything other
than MythCenter-wide, but I have a few non-standard lines in there too.
I'm confess, having a DB going back to 2005, that I'm slightly bemused by
the 'checking for new themes once an hour' message :-)   Have you tried
going back to MCW again or are you happy in 'ain't broke' mode?

> I'm currently away from base with an old laptop,
>
> SL6 master [v0.28-pre-2575-g6dfbb43] www.mythtv.org
> Qt version: compile: 4.8.5, runtime: 4.8.6
> 3.10.101-1.el6.elrepoNONPAE.i686
>
> so I don't expect to be making any more comments on recent features for
the time being!

> John

Steppes has been my theme of choice for a few years now,  I went with MCW
on the clean install because my choices were that or Terra, download new
straightened all that out.