[mythtv-users] FrontEnd Crash

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Fri May 27 16:21:21 UTC 2016

On 27/05/16 00:55, Daryl McDonald wrote:

> On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 8:05 AM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net
> <mailto:J.Pilk at tesco.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 25/05/16 22:09, John Pilkington wrote:
>
>         On 25/05/16 17:40, Daryl McDonald wrote:
>
>             Greetings Mythizens, I just got a clean install of Ubuntu
>             16.04 and Myth
>             0.28 recording last night, and editing this morning caused
>             crashes every
>             time I tried to advance in increments smaller than one
>             second. Is there
>             something I can do to correct this?   TIA  Daryl
>

>         I had a similar setup on a box that has now moved elsewhere in the
>         family;  I didn't see anything like this, but it didn't have
>         VDPAU.  You
>         might like to look at https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12004
>         (fixed)
>         for hints on what might be happening.
>
>         I've been using the editor successfully with dvb radio; with
>         that, steps
>         further down the scale than 1 s don't give reliable results -
>         but they
>         don't cause a crash.   I've tried to increase the extent of the
>         editor's
>         audio graph, as well, but have the impression that the decoder often
>         doesn't put all the data that I want in the place where I hope
>         to find it.
>
>         Cheers,
>
>         John P
>

>     I'll add that my main box - with MythTV in a window on a monitor -
>     has been giving occasional video driver warnings, often on quitting
>     the frontend but also sporadically, when running in 'Auto' painter mode.
>
>     WARNING: at drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_gem.c:4504
>     i915_gem_free_object+0x2ba/0x310 [i915]()
>     WARN_ON(obj->frontbuffer_bits)
>
>     Running in Qt mode crashes with radio recordings:
>
>     QOpenGLContext::swapBuffers() called with non-exposed window,
>     behavior is undefined
>
>     but it looks as if OpenGL1 might be ok.   I've just switched over to
>     that.  Perhaps worth a look.
>
>     Frontend > Setup > Appearance > Paint engine.
>
>     ...or show the frontend log?

> Curiously enough, after switching from "Myth Centre Wide" to "Steppes
> Wide" no crashes.
> Maybe I didn't make myself clear, my situation was only in editing in
> one second OK point five seconds or smaller Crash.

Hi Daryl, glad you got it working again.  I've rarely used anything
other than MythCenter-wide, but I have a few non-standard lines in there
too.  I'm confess, having a DB going back to 2005, that I'm slightly
bemused by the 'checking for new themes once an hour' message :-)   Have
you tried going back to MCW again or are you happy in 'ain't broke' mode?

I'm currently away from base with an old laptop,

SL6 master [v0.28-pre-2575-g6dfbb43] www.mythtv.org
Qt version: compile: 4.8.5, runtime: 4.8.6
3.10.101-1.el6.elrepoNONPAE.i686

so I don't expect to be making any more comments on recent features for
the time being!

John