[mythtv-users] No luck with RP3 mythtv inatall

Tyler T tylernt at gmail.com
Fri May 27 15:43:33 UTC 2016

> Raspberry Pi as a master backed in likely to be too underpowered.

It depends on how "big" of a backend you need. For years I ran a
master backend on a SheevaPlug, which was a single-core 1.2GHz 512MB
ARM device -- by all accounts less powerful than an RPi2. For a
single-tuner HDHR with an OTA antenna and a single remote frontend, it
worked a treat. I did not do commflagging or transcoding, of course.

My BE now is a Cubox-i4, which is the approximate equivalent of an
Rpi2 save it has 2GB RAM, eSATA, and gigabit Ethernet. It handles a
dual-tuner HDHR (OTA) and one remote frontend without breaking a
sweat. Again, I do not commflag or transcode, but I should think that
an Rpi2 should be able to do those tasks on spare core as long as you
weren't scheduling a ton of recordings (so it doesn't eternally fall
behind on background tasks).

Obviously, if you have a zillion cable/satellite channels and/or a
stack of tuners, then an RPi may not be the best choice (unless maybe
you deploy multiple Pis to share the workload ;) ).