[mythtv-users] Customizing a recording rule

Peter Bennett (cats22) cats22 at comcast.net
Fri May 27 13:51:29 UTC 2016

On 05/26/2016 04:14 PM, Ross Boylan wrote:
> I have a recording rule which turns out to be overly broad; I want to
> restrict it to only record the show on one channel.
>
> If I edit the existing rule in the usual way and select filters, this
> channel  only, it is ineffective.  I assume that is because "this
> channel" means the channel on which the show is being broadcast now,
> the channel I want to avoid.
>
> Try 2: Recording Rules | highlight the rule I want to modify.  Hit M
> and select Custom Edit.  The box that pops up says "Create a Custom
> Recording Rule", which seemed odd since I want to modify the existing
> rule.  In the "Rule SQL" field, which is pretty small, I added my
> modification ("and program.chanid = 1051") and hit Store.  It offers 2
> choices, "replace as search" and "replace as an example", neither of
> which sounds right.
Do not press "Store". Instead press "Record".  Then on the next page
select "Record all showings" and "Save". There will now be two recording
rules for the program. Delete the old one that you no longer need.

Another thing, you can use "and channel.channum='4'" to select a channel
number, you don't have to know which chanid was assigned to the channel.

Peter