[mythtv-users] MythTV Backend on Proxmox?

rob e redgerhoo at yahoo.com.au
Fri May 27 12:41:19 UTC 2016

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 9:41 PM, Tom Harris<thom.j.harris at gmail.com>  wrote:

> I?m starting to think about transitioning to 0.28 and it might be a good
> time to consolidate the backend into a hypervisor.    So, I?m wondering if
> others have made this move and know the potholes to avoid?
>
>   My tuner is a HDHomerun, so no issues with device support.  And I save my
> recordings to a NFS share on my NAS.
>
> I?m thinking of using an LXC container running Ubuntu 16.04. Any reason to
> opt for a full KVM VM instead?

I use Myth in an unprivileged LXC container on a Ubuntu Trusty/14.04
host ... it works really really well and has been stable for 18 months
or so.

Some key points ...
- I use USB tuners, so needed to pass them thru from the host, wasn't
too hard in the end
- All screen access is via X2GO
- Needed to access setup via ssh from host   "ssh -X my-id at 192.168.x.yyy
mythtv-setup.real"
- Set max CPU and RAM limits
- Supports 2 main clients and 4 tuners
- The host also doubles as the file server

I have various KVM VMs .... but they're much more resource intensive
albeit with higher security

On a   middle of the road 4 core haswell cpu (no hyperthreading) with
16GB I run
- 4 LXC containers ... permanently
- 1 Heavy Windows gaming PC, with GPU passhrough, occasionally at full 2
cpu performance (whilst the LXC machines are all ticking away in the
background)
- 1 medium weight KVM  machine occasionally

various other KVM machines very occasionally for special purposes

The point being -
- with LXC you can run very high VM densities on relatively modest
processors
- Myth can run very successfully inside an LXC container
- KVM offers better security & control at the expense of higher resource
utilisation