[mythtv-users] MythTV Backend on Proxmox?

Tom Bishop bishoptf at gmail.com
Thu May 26 13:28:11 UTC 2016

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 8:04 AM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 9:41 PM, Tom Harris <thom.j.harris at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I’m starting to think about transitioning to 0.28 and it might be a good
>> time to consolidate the backend into a hypervisor.    So, I’m wondering if
>> others have made this move and know the potholes to avoid?
>>
>>  My tuner is a HDHomerun, so no issues with device support.  And I save
>> my recordings to a NFS share on my NAS.
>>
>> I’m thinking of using an LXC container running Ubuntu 16.04. Any reason
>> to opt for a full KVM VM instead?

> I virtualized my BE to a VMWare VM running on ESXi a while back and am
> very happy with the results. I use an HDHomeRun. I've been thinking about
> putting an STB back into the mix because MAVTV HD is encrypted and crashes
> my backend when I try tuning to it, so I may have some complaints in the
> future when I try to get USB pass-through working. But I would highly
> recommend a virtualized backend.
>
> Has anybody successfully put a backend in a container? I tried getting it
> working in Docker a few months ago without much success.

My BE is running and has been running on a Centos KVM VM for quite some
time, all of my tuners are HD Homerun type tuners but I have 4 set of
tuners and it never skips a beat. Uptime with the KVM is as long as I want
until I want to update and have to reboot due to a kernal update etc. I
have not upgrade to .28 still running .27 with updates since right now it
aint broke and does everything I need it do. :)