[mythtv-users] Status of Schedules Direct SD-JSON grabbers

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sun May 22 21:07:55 UTC 2016

On 22 May 2016 at 20:07, Robert Eden <rmeden at gmail.com> wrote:
> First, I do understand the urgency felt by UK MythTV users and the clock is
> ticking.
>
> tv_grab_sd_json was just added to the XMLTV project a few days ago and has
> not been officially released.
>
> a new XMLTV SD-JSON grabber was just offered to XMLTV.  It is still only on
> github.  ( https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/tv_grab_na_sd )
>
> It seems to work well and much faster than tv_grab_sd_json .  Of course it
> has a different required packages.

Note that tv_grab_na_sd requires Perl 5.16 which *may* be an issue for
some end users - e.g. CentOS 6.6 latest Perl is only 5.10...

>From an XMLTV perspective it's always good to try and minimise
specific minimum Perl versions _where possible_.

> It was also pointed out that tv_grab_sd_json is *not* for Sudan, so the name
> doesn't fit the standard pattern. The names of both grabbers may change.
>
> So, please be a little patient with us (XMLTV). Since we're 4 weeks out from
> Atlas shutting down, I suspect things to gel quickly and we'll have an XMLTV
> release within a couple of weeks.  That gives the packages time to make
> normal distribution packages for Linux distribution and allow all users to
> make a smooth (albeit rushed) transition.

We have ~25 days until the data for tv_grab_uk_rt disappears.

For Debian packaging, aside from the time taken to get a package
accepted into unstable/sid, it takes a further 10 days minimum for a
package to transition into testing/stretch. Also note an updated XMLTV
won't ever make it into current Debian Stable release "Jessie".

I haven't checked Debian's coverage of the dependencies for
tv_grab_na_sd (or tv_grab_sd_json for that matter) but will try to
this week. I hope everything required is already packaged and
available in Debian and Ubuntu.

Cheers,
Nick