[mythtv-users] File permissions files are when moved into MythTV directories

Peter Bennett (cats22) cats22 at comcast.net
Sat May 21 17:05:31 UTC 2016

On 05/21/2016 10:48 AM, Damian wrote:
> I know that I can manually change the permissions of files after I've
> moved them, but that's a bit of a pain.
>
> Is there any way to either automate this process, or set things up so
> that the extra step is not even needed?
We can use the command chmod to set the group ID bit for a directory.
   chmod g+s mydir
or with numeric mode:
   chmod 2775 mydir
After the change, the permission of the directory "mydir" becomes
"drwxrwsr-x".
When another user creates a file or directory under such a directory
"mydir", the new file or directory will have its group set as the group
of the owner of "mydir", instead of the group of the user who creates it.
Use this in conjunction with umask 002 to give your files group write
permission. Make sure the directories also have group write permission.

Peter