[mythtv-users] Geforce GT710

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat May 21 15:02:39 UTC 2016

On Sat, 21 May 2016 15:40:10 +0300, you wrote:

>On 5/18/2016 8:35 AM, IsmoT wrote:
> >
> > Just want to share information about this cheap passive cooled card.
> > I have tested it and it performs well with mythtv and vdpau.
> > It can do temporal-spatial deinterlacing with 1080i content 25/30Hz
> > without any dropped frames.
> > It also can do 720p > 1080p scaling with hq scaling enabled
> > I also watch much 480i pal rate programs, and it performs well with
> > temporal-spatial and hq scaling.
> >
> > I changed my old GT210 to this card, because GT210 didn't have enough
> > horsepower to do the hq scaling or temporal-spatial. It was almost
> > working, but had dropped frames time to time (maybe one in a minute or
> > two). I had to use temporal deinterlacer without hq scaling.
> > Difference is easily seen, mostly maybe hq scaling is that matters.
> > Deinterlacer differences are smaller, imho
> >
>I currently have a GT 210 with 1GB. When viewing content from FOX or ABC
>in HD, the sound and video are together, but a bit jerky. Would going to
>a GT 710 help with this?
>
>First you should check your playback profile. Are you even using vdpau?
>GT210 should do fullhd deinterlacing with temporal deinterlacer without
>jerkiness. Other thing to check is correct framerate. You need modelines
>for all used framerates in xorg.conf (I don't know if new setups do this
>automatically) and also need to enable framerate changing in mythtv.
>https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:JudderFree
>
>GT710 will help only if you use temporal-spatial (advanced 2x)
>deinterlacer, or vdpauhqscaling.
>In my setup, I didnot have jerkiness even using those with GT210, but
>only occasional frame drops that show up as hiccups in video.
>If your hd is interlaced 60Hz, then I don't know if GT210 is capable of
>doing it at all, my content is all PAL, 25/50Hz signal which need little
>less horsepower.
>
>-K

No, the GT210 is known not to be good enough to do full advanced 2x
deinterlacing properly.  The GT220 is the lowest 200 series that can.
If your TV can do the deinterlacing for you, then maybe a GT210 can
work, but it is not recommended.  My recollection of the discussions
at the time it came out is that the GT210 does not have enough of one
particular resource (shaders?) and almost works, but not quite.  Quite
a few people fell into the trap of buying them back then, because they
were readily available in a fanless version, and had to then get a
better card.  I paid a fair bit more to get a fanless GT220, which
were hard to find, but I have been very happy with it for many years.