[mythtv-users] UK - xmlxtv

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Thu May 19 18:33:16 UTC 2016

On 19/05/16 20:03, Neil Bird wrote:
>   It's looking like the most viable solution is to move to Schedules
> Direct (which does UK listings now) @$25 per year.  You will need to
> grab the latest snapshot SD JSON xmltv grabber which is being
> frantically (I guess!) tarted up - see the list for details.
>
>   There's also a little pain for changing xmltvids for channels, and
> manual DB manipulation to remove old programme IDs (to prevent duplicate
> recordings).  There's something about that elsewhere on the MythTV list
> now (“Duplicate matching methods - make program ID an explicit choice”).

I have done that; up and running now.

It was fairly involved in that I needed also to upgrade my version of
Perl since my backend still runs Ubuntu 12.04. Did that using perlbrew.
I then installed all of the XMLTV dependencies using cpanm and
built/tested/installed the latest XMLTV nightly snapshot. This had one
bug (missing build dependency) which I reported on XMLTV's project page
on Sourceforge.

Configuring the JSON grabber was also a bit awkward in that Schedules
Direct's approach is to try and offer everyone their own lineup. This
only works if you happen to be in their "service area" which I'm not:
I'm in Belgium. So I needed to pick a UK postcode and then a provider
which I thought would carry all of the UK channels I have access to
through my Belgian CATV operator. (One channel is missing: BBC
Entertainment. Any ideas in which lineup I can find this channel?).

I then needed to look over the XMLTV file generated by the JSON grabber
in order to learn the channel IDs I needed to plug into my MythTV
channel table (which I did using Mythweb).

Anyway: it works now. Over the coming days I'll probably try and
optimise the Schedules Direct download by limiting it to the channels
I'm actually using.

HTH, JAn