[mythtv-users] HDMI keep alive, maybe via sending silent audio?

John Veness John.Veness.mythtv at pelago.org.uk
Mon May 16 12:43:13 UTC 2016

On 16/05/2016 12:43, Mike Perkins wrote:
> I have a cheap HDMI switcher I bought from Maplins, reason being the
> BT Vision box would complain when I plugged something else into one of
> the TV's other HDMI inputs (!). I don't get where BT can decide what I
> plug into my TV, or why they care, but I digress.
>
> If you order the inputs correctly, then you should never need to use
> the remote that comes with the switcher. The BT box is input 1 and the
> myth box is 2. I did have another host that I used for Skype plugged
> into input 3. This means that it defaults to 1 except when I switch
> the myth box on and it goes back when I shut the myth box down. Look,
> no hands

Thanks, sounds clever, but I don't think that would work for me. My box
is a combined BE/FE so is powered on for long periods of time, even when
no one is watching its output.

I'd still rather find a software fix. A loop like "while [ true ] ; do
aplay -q silent.wav ; done" is something I could try. If it works, I
would make the wav file a few seconds long, and add a "sleep 120" or
similar in there, so that it's not using too much CPU. What I don't know
is whether this will nicely mix with Myth's output.

John

--
John Veness, MythTV user, UK, DVB-T