[mythtv-users] Comcast MPEG4 requirements?

Per Hatlevik jakeisawake at gmail.com
Thu May 12 22:12:23 UTC 2016

>> Just another data point for reference. I'm in South Minneapolis and even
>> though the transition hasn't quite started here yet I found that OWN on
>> channel 399 is already mpeg4. I was able to watch live and also to record
>> (using a ceton eth6 with cable card) just fine. Using playback data in the
>> frontend i verified that it is indeed being decoded using mpeg4 vdpau and
>> all frontends in the house worked perfectly so I guess I'm all set!
>>

> Do closed-captions work?
>
> John

i tested closed-captions this morning and unfortunately they do not seem to
work. the frontend displays an icon meaning the recording has closed
captions (no idea how that's determined!) but no subtitles options in the
menu during playback and hitting t (toggle subtitles) has no discernible
effect.

this is not a deal breaker for me as i RARELY use subtitles but for some i
concede that it may be! i am happy to do any other testing in this regard.
subtitles DO work on my other mpeg2 recordings.

i'm also on mythtv v0.27.4 so things may have changed in newer versions or
0.28. i'm planning to upgrade to 0.28 when i have two weeks off at the
start of june.

for the file size questions i only did one recording to see if it worked so
not really conclusive but i got about 2GB/hr which is 1/2 or 1/3 the file
sizes i typically see with mpeg2.

best regards,

per hatlevik