[mythtv-users] Dumping MPEG files to DVDs

Andre Newman MythTV mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Wed May 11 08:58:33 UTC 2016

> On 10 May 2016, at 21:28, John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net> wrote:
>

> But it's worth pointing out that MythArchive doesn't just dump the recorded file onto the dvd - it uses dvdauthor, and 1.2MB of mythburn.log gives immense detail of the adjustments made by mpeg2enc
> during the process.  I would expect these to ensure dvd-spec compliance.

I don’t believe you can get to dvd compliance from a modern mpeg2 transmission without re-encoding. While there are many tweaks that can be done to improve things, it’s mostly about removing or papering over any dropouts in the stream. There is a different much simpler transport stream wrapper required for dvd than is needed for transmission but this doesn’t change the underlying mpeg2 video encoding. In the UK we have some transmission frame sizes that are not in the dvd spec either but most players will still play them.

For example the maximum gop for dvd is very short by modern encoder standards, that cannot ever be changed in a video stream without re-encoding. It was done to keep memory requirements low for dvd players but almost all players now have far more memory and more capable decoders than the spec requires. I’ve also noticed that bluray and hddvd players are a lot more tolerant of out of spec dvds.

> ... but perhaps I should get another player before they go extinct.

If you’ve found one that plays everything you have then yes get another quick before they change the design. :-)

Andre