[mythtv-users] Cheap frontend

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Tue May 10 15:25:34 UTC 2016

On 10/05/16 15:51, Josu Lazkano wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am looking for a cheap hardware to run mythfrontend. I have a ECS
> Liva but there are out of stock.
>
> I want to play some 1080p videos and LiveTV.
>
> Anyone could help me?
>
> I will really appreciate your help.
>
> Kind regards.

You could use a Raspberry Pi3.

I have one running Ubuntu Mate 15.10 for Raspberry Pi with mythtv
frontend from the 0.28 ppa. It works well for me over WIFI (2.4G only)
for both 1080p and Live TV (SD/HD UK TV Freeview and Freesat).  You can
also use ethernet as this is built-in. The only thing I have found with
Raspberry Pis is don't skimp on the power supply - get the official one.

I have also used Raspbian Jessie with Mythtv Light  build from Peter
Bennett :
https://github.com/bennettpeter/mythtv/releases.

There is also now a build of Mythtv Light for Ubuntu Mate 16.04, again
from Peter Bennett, but I have yet to try this.

For Live  TV depending on your region, you may need the MPEG2 licence
(for hardware GPU decoding) - it cheap (2.40 GBP) and well worth it if
needed.

Finally, Raspberry Pi has built-in CEC, so if you TV supports it, you
should be able to control the mythtv frontend using the TV remote
control. You currently need one of the Peter Bennett build for CEC.

Mike