[mythtv-users] Dumping MPEG files to DVDs

Andre Newman MythTV mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Tue May 10 12:17:28 UTC 2016

> On 10 May 2016, at 03:22, Monkey Pet <monkeypet at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all, its been awhile since I tried this and last time I created nmy own bash scripts, but lost the scripts.  My tv recordings are from hdhomerun tuners. I want to dump it on DVDs. Wondering what's the easiest way to do it without transcoding.  It must be playable by any standalone DVD player (not a computer).

Be aware that the spec for an mpeg2 television transmission is a bit more flexible than the spec for mpeg2 for a DVD, _most_ modern DVD players will play unreencoded mpeg2 transmissions but not _all_.

The older the DVD player and the more recent the recording the less chance of it working properly. Broadcast encoders (even mpeg2) have developed significantly in the last few years, the DVD spec is exactly as it was when it was written.

I find it mostly works, and when it doesn’t, go try a different dvd player.

Andre