[mythtv-users] Upgraded to 16.04 and MythTV 0.28 - now cannot ID capture card

George Bingham georgeb1962 at gmail.com
Tue May 3 22:48:46 UTC 2016

Hello all,

I'd been a long time user of MythTV with my first HVR-2250 capture card and
so about a year ago I decided to get another capture card for a new system.
When I did I got the HVR-2255, and after requesting support from Hauppauge
to get it running under Linux, they provided me with patches and some
instructions that got it working under the 3.16 kernel that I had to custom
compile.

Because that system is no longer supported and it was becoming a hassle to
get packages, I decided to upgrade to the new 16.04 release.

I had read that the kernel patches were required in 3.16 but that as of
either 4.2 or 4.4 the correct modules / firmware / whatever for the
HVR-2255 were built in, so I decided to take the plunge....

I got the upgrades done and solved a few of the issues (getting mysql
updated properly was a challenge), but it seems to be working now.

However, MythTV is not working with this capture card.

Mythtv-setup reports "Could not get card info for card
/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0" and "Unknown error" on my capture card page.

The syslog reports that the firmware is uploading to the card properly and
that the device is being registered by the system, so I am not sure what's
going wrong.

This all was working in MythTV 0.27, but the move to 16.04 upgraded me to
0.28 so it's a different version of MythTV, but since the kernel and entire
system has changed as well, I am not sure how to go about fixing this
problem.

Has anyone else got this card and running it under 16.04 and MythTV 0.28?

Any advice?

Thanks!

-- George