[mythtv-users] One step forward, two steps back - Frontends not woring properly

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon May 2 17:42:03 UTC 2016

On Mon, 2 May 2016 16:45:14 +0100, you wrote:

>On 02/05/2016 01:29, Bill Meek wrote:
>> On 05/01/2016 06:42 PM, Damian wrote:
>>>
>>> So, does anyone have any more tips?
>>
>> Sure, stop the frontend, restart it from the command line like this:
>>
>>     mythfrontend --logpath /tmp --quiet
>>
>> Go the the screen that's failing, then exit the frontend as you
>> normally would.
>>
>> Pastebin the log found in /tmp. Folks here can see if anything
>> sticks out.
>>
>> (oops, and put the link to the pastebin here)
>>
>Thanks Bill,
>
>Here's some output from that ...
>
>Frontend Liva - WatchingLive TV
>http://pastebin.com/56PkRkrC
>
>Frontend Liva - Watching a Video
>http://pastebin.com/UJdN2xBy
>
>Frontend Kids - WatchingLive TV
>http://pastebin.com/2UMBmr94
>
>Although I don't really know what I'm looking at, it seemed to me like
>the frontend's were still trying to connect via IPv6 rather than good
>the good old fashioned 192.x.x.x address.
>
>Maybe there's other stuff going on too that I can't see.

You are right, in all three of your pastebin files, mythfrontend is
trying to connect to mythbackend using IPv6, and failing.  It is
managing to connect to mysql on the backend box using IPv4.

From the ifconfig output you posted earlier, you do not appear to have
IPv6 working to the outside world, so all that is working is just the
IPv6 link-local addresses.  In theory, they should work OK for MythTV
connections, as long as the boxes are on the same subnet without any
router in between them, but I have never tried to get MythTV to work
with IPv6, so I am not sure.  My network has a full IPv6 connection,
so my boxes all have IPv6 unicast addresses assigned, so I can not try
testing a similar setup to yours on my network.  In any case, since
you do not have a full IPv6 connection, the best thing is to just get
MythTV to use IPv4 to connect with.  The simplest way to do that may
just be to disable IPv6 on all the MythTV boxes, unless you are
intending at some stage to get an external IPv6 connection working.  I
think someone else has already posted how to do that, but I did a
google and this seems to be a good page:

http://www.upubuntu.com/2011/05/how-to-disable-ipv6-under-ubuntu.html

The other problem is, why are the frontends trying to use IPv6 in the
first place?  If the address in the frontend
/home/<mythtv-user>/config.xml file is IPv4, mythfrontend should be
using IPv4 to connect to mythbackend.

Today I did a 16.04 install with 0.28, and I am seeing that my
mythbackend is not listening on my external IPv4 address, only on
localhost (127.0.0.1), localhost6 (::1) and on my IPv6 link-local
address.  I have not configured anything yet, it is just running on an
almost untouched database, but it is exhibiting similar symptoms to
your setup.  I will be spending some time tomorrow working out what is
going on.