[mythtv-users] Comcast MPEG4 requirements?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 06:11:45 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 7:33 PM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:
> Same here. Six days later. I just checked MSNBC and CC again. Still MPEG-2.

Since you mentioned you have a HDHR-3CC, you should be
aware that with the latest beta firmware that a channel lineup
shows the encodings that are detected

http://<ip>/lineup.json?tuning

will include in the hash the values such as:
  "VideoCodec":"MPEG2",
  "AudioCodec":"AC3"

(H264 rather than MPEG2 for, you guessed it, H.264)

You can also scan down the web page that shows
the channels and see a "AVC" for H.264 channels.

Obviously (since the codecs can technically change
at any time) this is a snapshot of the stream, but
given the realities of (mostly) stable codecs, it probably
provides you with the info you are interested in.

I suspect that you may need to force a "Detect Channels"
scan from the channels web page on the device to get
the latest and greatest status (the device also does a
background scan every so often to pick up new, updated,
or deleted channels, but that is at some future time).

Last I knew the latest prime beta firmware was only
being packaged in the beta windows hdhomerun
build available in their DVR beta forums (i.e. no
standalone firmware file, so either a windows system
or a VM is needed (Microsoft makes test VM images
available of most of their platforms)).

AFAIK, OWNHD is still the only (greater) SF Bay Area
channel being transmitted in H.264 (but since I just
put that in writing, it is probably no longer a true
statement).  Other locations have a different schedule.