[mythtv-users] HD PVR 2 and mythtv

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 19:37:26 UTC 2016

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 12:44 PM john.baab at gmail.com <john.baab at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I know there was a leak via their FTP a little while back, but it wasn't
> production ready drivers.  Hopefully this release is better.  I'm patiently
> waiting for someone to tell me if I should replace my original HDPVR now.

This question pops up every 3 or 4 months.

The Hauppauge Linux 'driver' for the HD PVR 2 is non-standard, which means
that special support needs added to MythTV to be able to communicate with
it.  The driver is also incomplete, even in the latest version S/PDIF input
does not work and neither does audio with greater than 2 channels.

I have been working with Hauppauge to test their driver and flush out the
features.  They have been very helpful, but it is a slow process.  Once
they get the driver completely working I will look into adding support to
MythTV, but it will not be easy.

The Linux 'driver' uses libusb for the "high level" communication to a
couple of specific chips that actually do the work in the device itself.
The code that Hauppauge provides has all of this intertwined together,
which means it cannot easily be used in a generic way by other Linux
applications.  For example, if we wanted to use a newer version of libusb,
it is not just a matter of installing a newer version in the OS.  Once the
driver is complete, I am hoping to work with Hauppauge to come up with a
more generic API.

In summary, it will likely be closer to the end of the year before the HD
PVR 2 and Colossus 2 become usable in MythTV.

John