[mythtv-users] MythTV Raspberry Pi 2+ MythFrontend Setup Tutorial Updated

Curtis Gedak gedakc at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 16:03:00 UTC 2016

On 16-03-27 10:32 PM, Michael A. Litscher wrote:
> On 03/27/2016 09:44 AM, Peter Bennett (cats22) wrote:
> Regardless, I get closed captioning in ELGFS mode, but not in XCB mode.
> By that, I mean the two modes you've documented (though truth be told,
> it might help if you break the two modes out separately in your
> documentation, so it's blindingly obvious which command line goes with
> which playback profile), neither of which use ffmpeg in the playback
> profile.

Good suggestion Michael.  Following is a description of ELFGS mode
settings, XCB settings, and my Audio settings.

NOTE:

These settings have been tested using the "Curtis" build of Mythfrontend
running on the Raspian Jessie full desktop image.  With "Curtis" build,
the mythfrontend executable supports both ELGFS mode and XCB mode and is
in the ~/mythtv-rpi/bin directory.

Peter's build is easier to install, uses XCB mode only, and installs the
mythfrontend executable in the /usr/bin directory.

ELGFS Mode
----------

Assuming you are at the console (not in an X session), the command to
start mythfrontend in ELFGS mode is:

  export MYTHTVDIR=~/mythtv-rpi

  QT_QPA_EGLFS_FORCE888=1 QT_QPA_PLATFORM=eglfs\
   LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$MYTHTVDIR/lib\
   QT_PLUGIN_PATH=$MYTHTVDIR/plugins\
   PYTHONPATH=$MYTHTVDIR/lib/python2.7/site-packages\
   $MYTHTVDIR/bin/mythfrontend

With mythfrontend running, be sure to choose the OpenMAX EGLFS video
playback mode.

Choose *Setup -> Video -> Playback*.

Choose *Next* 2 times to get to *Playback Profiles (3/8)*.

Ensure (*Add New* if needed):

  Video Playback Profile:  OpenMAX EGLFS

Under *Edit* ensure:

  Match criteria:     >=          W:  0     H:  0
  Match criteria:     <empty>     W:  0     H:  0
  Decoder:            openmax
  Max CPUs:           1
  Deblocking filter:  yes
  Video renderer:     openmax
  OSD renderer:       opengl2
  OSD fade:           no

Choose *Next* and ensure:

  Primary deinterlacer:   Advanced (HW)
  Fallback deinterlacer:  Fast (HW)
  Custom filters:         <empty>

Choose *Finish*.

Choose *Next* 5 times and *Finish* to ensure changes are saved.

XCB Mode
--------

Assuming you are at the console (not in an X session), the command to
start mythfrontend in XCB mode is:

  export MYTHTVDIR=~/mythtv-rpi

  QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb\
   LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$MYTHTVDIR/lib\
   QT_PLUGIN_PATH=$MYTHTVDIR/plugins\
   PYTHONPATH=$MYTHTVDIR/lib/python2.7/site-packages\
   startx $MYTHTVDIR/bin/mythfrontend

With mythfrontend running, be sure to choose the OpenMAX Normal video
playback mode.

Choose *Setup -> Video -> Playback*.

Choose *Next* 2 times to get to &Playback Profiles (3/8)*.

Ensure:

  Video Playback Profile: OpenMAX Normal

Under *Edit* ensure:

  Match criteria:     >           W:  0     H:  0
  Match criteria:     <empty>     W:  0     H:  0
  Decoder:            openmax
  Max CPUs:           1
  Deblocking filter:  yes
  Video renderer:     openmax
  OSD renderer:       softblend         # <-- different
  OSD fade:           no

Choose *Next* and ensure:

  Primary deinterlacer:   Advanced (HW)
  Fallback deinterlacer:  One field       # <-- different
  Custom filters:         <empty>

Choose *Finish*.

Choose *Next* 5 times and *Finish* to ensure changes are saved.

Audio Settings
--------------

With mythfrontend running, the following audio settings work well for me.

Choose *Setup -> Audio*.

On the *Audio System* screen ensure:

  Audio output device:     ALSA:default

  Digital Audio Capabilities
    Dolby Digital      enabled
    DTS                enabled
    E-AC-3             disabled
    TrueHD             disabled
    DTS-HD             disabled

  Speaker configuration:   Stereo

  Upconvert stereo to 5.1 surround    <enabled - greyed out>
  Upmix Quality:                      <Best - greyed out>

Choose *Next*.

On the *Audio Mixer* screen ensure:

  Use internal volume controls:   enabled

  Mixer device:        ALSA:default
  Mixer controls:      PCM
  Master mixer volume: 100
  PCM mixer volume:    100

Choose *Finish*.

Hopefully the above settings help clarify the setup differences between
ELGFS mode and XCB mode, and how I have configured my audio settings.

Peter, please feel free to point out any mistakes, or enhancements in
these settings such as how you use ffmpeg and 4 CPUs.

Regards,
Curtis