[mythtv-users] MythTV Raspberry Pi 2+ MythFrontend Setup Tutorial Updated

Michael A. Litscher mike.litscher at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 04:24:47 UTC 2016

On 03/13/2016 12:07 PM, Curtis Gedak wrote:
> Thanks to the work of Peter Bennett and Lawrence Rust I have been able
> to combine their work to create a new build of MythTV for the Raspberry
> Pi 2 or better.
>
> The build is available at:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/1iyhq6usqzalmg6/mythtv-v0.27.6-69-g41a2a8d-RPI2-jessie.tar.bz2?dl=0
>
> MD5SUM:
> 43dd1a86a25e0dec74655f60df245635
> mythtv-v0.27.6-69-g41a2a8d-RPI2-jessie.tar.bz2
>
> SHA1SUM:
> 7f6d6960417a57c622afb4ded1950b1647f7f973
> mythtv-v0.27.6-69-g41a2a8d-RPI2-jessie.tar.bz2
>
> The key differences from Peter's excellent debian packages are:
>
>    -  Includes MythTV suite of plugins
>    -  Enables EGLFS mode for rock-steady OSD with custom video
>       playback profile
>
> The key difference from Lawrence's pioneering tarballs are:
>
>    -  Includes Peter's RPi fixes and enhancements
>    -  Built upon MythTV 0.27.6 instead of 0.27.5
>

> Installation of the new tarball is described in the updated MythFrontend
> Setup Tutorial.  See:
>
> Setting Up an Inexpensive Raspberry Pi 2 as a Cheap Frontend to MythTV
> with MythFrontend
> http://gedakc.users.sourceforge.net/display-doc.php?name=pvr-rpi-mythtv-frontend
>
> Curtis

It works!

I loaded this onto a new Pi3, following your instructions, and after
uncommenting a line in /boot/config.txt in order to disable_overscan,
both the XCB and EGLFS modes work with my Panasonic plasma with North
American OTA (pulled in via a home-made Gray-Hoverman antenna design
connected to an HDHomeRun). There is the occasional very brief hiccup in
EGLFS mode with closed captioning toggled on, but it's still very
acceptable. With CC turned off, or in XCB mode, it's as smooth as any
client I have on my LAN.

Stellar work, Gentlemen! I'd buy you each a pint, if I could.

Now, if I can get it to pass AC-3 through HDMI, thus ultimately to my
surround decoder...