[mythtv-users] Freezing/Pixelating

Gabriel Kuri gkuri at ieee.org
Tue Mar 22 23:40:43 UTC 2016

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 11:49 AM, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Be sure you have the most recent drivers for your
> ethernet device.  As another thread indicated, there are
> some ethernet devices on some platforms that actually
> run best at 100Mb/s (and fail at gigabit speeds).

I'm on a very recent linux kernel and the backend has an Intel PCIe NIC,
which uses the kernel e1000e driver. If it was a cheesy Realtek NIC, I'd
probably worry about that, but I'm not too worried about the Intel NIC on a
pretty recent kernel :)

> While the supplied HDHR Prime power supplies are better than
> some, try replacing the power brick with something equivalent,
> as a failing power supply can result in various pixelation issues
> (and the earlier gen HDHRs were notorious with their power
> supplies failing).  SiliconDust sells official replacement
> power supplies for a nominal price, but they also provide
> (on their forums) the details for compatible supplies should
> you want to acquire locally.  If you have more than a few
> external power brick devices, you likely have something to
> test with (from memory, do not use without checking on
> their site, you need 5V at 2.5A (higher amps OK) for
> production (and for limited testing, you can get away with
> a 2A supply as long as your do not use a USB powered
> TA (AFAIK none as USB powered, but.....)).

This is a brand new HD Homerun Prime, so unless it's a bad power supply out
of the box?

> In addition, there is a (proposed) feature patch in trac to collect
> (and optionally report) additional streaming information for a
> HDHR.  That (might) provide some hints as to whether the
> fault is the source or the network or your system.  You can try
> applying the patch to your copy of the source and see what
> you see:  https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11565

That's interesting, I may apply that patch manually and recompile to see if
I can generate stats that may help me troubleshoot, thanks.